Traveling behind the wheel of your car is exciting, convenient and less expensive than using a plane or a transfer, which is not always advantageous in terms of price and route.
However, the owner of the automobile must perform a certain ritual in order to get it ready for a lengthy trip. A list of essential items that will be required on the road must be present, and the automobile must be in completely operational mechanical condition.
We will discuss what to pack for a long journey, how to prepare a car for it, and whether there are any variations depending on the season. Let’s dive in!
In summer, the road is easier to carry. It’s also the time for fun journeys and trips. That’s why many people prefer to travel around the world and experience as many unusual things as possible. We advise not to torture your car, but try car rental. This opens so manu opportunities. Once in the Emirates, try sports car rental in Dubai – Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche – the choice is yours!
However, if you still decide to stir up your old lady, you can go on a journey light without additional equipment. But you should pay special attention to the technical part.
To properly prepare your car for a long trip in the summer, follow a simple checklist that is relevant for any time of the year:
- Many drivers advise to strengthen the car body, for example, to make a coating like ceramic coating. In summer, the gravels are open, so no one is immune from the arrival of stones in the windshield or car body. In service centers, in addition to car scanning and diagnostics, they offer car body repair, which includes film or ceramic coating. By the way, companies in Dubai that are considered one of the best in the world can offer you a complex of services – apart from coating you can get car window tinting, trim protecting, AC refresh as well as polishing.
- Check the high and low-beam headlights, lights, brake lights, turn signals, and horn.
- Carry out diagnostics of the brake system. If the pads are more than 50% worn, they should be replaced.
- Check the level of all technical fluids: engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, windshield washer.
- Adjust camber. If the wheel alignment problem is not corrected, the machine may lose control.
- Update worn wiper rubber bands. No one is immune from the rain in the summer.
- Check the condition of the battery: charge level, electrolyte density (if the battery is serviced).
- Refill the air conditioner and change the air filter.
- Inspect the tires, measure the pressure level, and perform balancing at the tire shop.
- Be sure to bring a spare tire, a jack and a set of wrenches.
Winter dictates its own rules. Even a minor mistake on the road can lead to a serious accident.
- As mentioned earlier, follow the rules from the general checklist. Perform everything from checking fluids to repairing the brake system and engine.
- Always keep the fuel tank full. Don’t bring the level to a critical state. Top up the gas tank at every opportunity. In winter, the car consumes more fuel. And if the car breaks a tire, you can be left with an empty tank on the road and with a broken stove.
- Check the condition of the brake system 100%. Replace worn parts and fluids.
- And do not forget that in winter you will need a set of high-quality seasonal tires designed for driving on snowy, icy roads.
During the off-season, machine components are affected by temperature changes and high humidity. Therefore, preparation for the trip should be no less thorough than in winter.
There are some nuances in the off-season:
- Check the condition of the wiring and equipment. Electrical appliances are vulnerable to temperature extremes and high humidity.
- The off-season is a time of heavy rainfall. Therefore, the wipers must be in good working order, and the brushes must quickly and effectively deal with dirt on the glass. Replace brushes if necessary. It is better to choose frameless wipers.
- Inspect the body for chips, cracks. Before the trip, coat the paintwork with a protective compound. This procedure will protect the paintwork in places of small chips from corrosion.
- Replace cracked rubber seals so that water does not get inside the cabin.
What things to take on a long trip?
The following items must be in the car:
- First aid kit. It must be completed in accordance with the requirements of traffic rules.
- Fire extinguisher. The extinguishing agent must not be expired.
- Warning sign and tow rope. Without these items, you can not go on the road.
- Repair kit. A tire repair kit is useful for repairing a small puncture.
Hope, our simple tips will help you prepare your car for a long trip and avoid unpleasant situations on the road.